Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Interview with a Green Jeweler

I recently happened upon a jewelry artist who handcrafts her pieces using recycled materials, may of which would be perfect for wedding bands or gifts! Her name is Kristin Coffin and you can find her jewelry here. I asked her to share some words about the importance of acting green and seeking sustainable methods in our daily lives as well as in our jewelry shopping. Take a look at some of her great designs and what she had to say:


WHY SUSTAINABLE/ECO-FRIENDLY JEWELRY?

Jewelry is rich with history and tradition, but the current politics behind what we seek are reeking havoc on our earth and its inhabitants. Although most silver on the market is already recycled, gold mining stills plays an enormous role in environmental and social degradation worldwide. We think instantly of cars and factories as huge polluters, but often don't realize the terrible effects of gold mining. Landscapes are ruined, ocean habitats are destroyed, toxic levels of cyanide are leached into groundwater, and villages are torn apart because of it.


Personal adornment is definitely here to stay, but we have to act responsibly, the same way we've all started to think about hybrid cars and recycling.


HOW IS IT SUSTAINABLE?

All gold and silver used in my jewelry is recycled. I purchase the gold for my designs from vendors that only sell gold that was recycled from the Earth’s existing metal supply (they do not buy from mining companies). I also collect all my metal dust, scraps, and shavings, and have it refined so that it can be made and resold into sustainable new product.


HOW ELSE IN YOUR LIFE DO YOU ACT SUSTAINABLY?

Too many ways to count! I see sustainability not just as promoting a greener earth, but also as contributing to your local community's economy. I don't own a car (bus and subway only!). I shop local whenever possible, trying to avoid large corporations in favor of small independent businesses. I frequent the local farmer's market. I use Seventh Generation products at home and in the studio, and only cloth towels--no paper towels. Oh yeah, and I'm vegetarian.


WHAT ONE THING WOULD YOU CHANGE FOR A GREENER WORLD?

A think a good, and extremely doable first step would be to add just a little vegetarian into everyone's diets. Cattle farming emits more harmful greenhouse gasses than cars and other modes of transportation (2006 report from the United Nations). A new study shows that livestock’s contribution to greenhouse emissions actually accounts for 51% of the total worldwide. Eek! If everyone ate vegetarian just ONE day per week, we could cut emissions by 18% or more! Come on, it's just one day without a burger...and veggie burgers are so good!


Thanks Kristin for your inspiration and beauty. I know I have been working on eating a more vegetarian diet for very similar reasons!

G&G

No comments:

Post a Comment